Friday, March 2, 2012

A Quick Idea

 
I was printing out B1 and B2 (hopefully I can get someone to play, now that my dice are back). One thing that concerned me was the blue saturation on the maps. So, I came up with what I think is a good solution, and I wanted to pass it along. I opened the pdf in Okular and performed the following operations in GIMP, but I'm sure Photoshop would work, too.

  1. Open the pdf and rectangular-select the entire map page. Copy to the clipboard.
  2. Start GIMP, and select Edit -> Paste.
  3. Using the Fuzzy Select tool, click anywhere in the mass of blue. If there are disconnected areas, you can add them to the selection set by holding down Shift and clicking those areas.
  4. Once you have the blue masses selected, click Select -> Shrink. Shrink the selection by 3 pixels (my preference, you may want something heavier or lighter).
  5. Click the Delete button on the keyboard.
Performing the above operations on the above map yielded this result:




It is still blue, but it won't chew up your ink cartridge to print all that unnecessary blue mass.

Oh, one more thing: pay attention to scale. Copying it into GIMP that way can make it wonky. I performed the following steps before I printed:
  1. Click Select -> None
  2. Click Image -> Scale Image
  3. Set Resolution to the desired level (I used 200)
  4. Change Image Size units to Inches (or whatever you're most comfortable with)
  5. Change Width to 7.5", making sure Height remains proportionate

And there you have it. It only takes about 2 minutes, start to finish, and will save a lot of ink.


1 comment:

  1. Follow-up:
    The above is very dependent on the original file. I've tried it on a pretty crappy scan of the Caves of Chaos and it hasn't worked so well. I'll keep working with it, though, and post any "improved" procedures.

    ReplyDelete