Tuesday, August 7, 2012

All Along the Watchtower

Alright, folks, here it is. The perfect D&D song. I love Celtic, New Age, Midnight Syndicate, and all that sort of thing for background ambiance as much as the next guy. This song though, is it.



This song is forever linked in a perfectly balanced trifecta with D&D and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. The very first F&GM story I read began with the duo manning a watch on a city wall. Need I say more? From the very first strains of the guitar, my mind is taken to a decadent city-state, ripe for adventure. The music has a certain dancers-in-a-bazaar sound to it. The lyrics were D&D before there was D&D. I mean, they sound liked the boxed text that says "Read the following aloud to your players".

It just doesn't get anymore evocative than this.

4 comments:

  1. Heh, must have heard this song a good few dozen times, and never spotted that before. I think I'll listen again. And probably a few more times too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some selected lyrics:

      "No reason to get excited,"
      The thief, he kindly spoke
      "There are many here among us
      Who feel that life is but a joke
      But you and I, we've been through that
      And this is not our fate
      So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late"

      All along the watchtower
      Princes kept the view
      While all the women came and went
      Barefoot servants, too

      Outside in the cold distance
      A wildcat did growl
      Two riders were approaching
      And the wind began to howl

      Delete
  2. Sadly this song is tainted for me due to its featuring in Battlestar Galactica: The Depressening. That was the point at which I said, 'I can''t take any more of this #$%#^#^!' and packed it in. And my life has been the better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used imagery from this song many times before. It even became the pinnacle in my "Season of the Witch" campaign. http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2011/04/season-of-witch-episode-13.html

    It is totally a D&D song!

    ReplyDelete