Thursday, May 10, 2012

Aranor Hex Map

Northern Calanthas Hexmap
Here is an early draft of my campaign setting, rendered on an ACKS hex grid, for sandbox purposes. I used hexGIMP (available here). The download includes a brush folder and a script for generating the blank hex map. Even though the ACKS sheet already has a hex grid, I couldn't get the brushes to properly fit. The brushes scale proportionately, but the hexes aren't proportionate to them, so it was pretty fugly. I ended up saving the border from the ACKS sheet and pasting it onto the grid generated by hexGIMP. I had to scale it around the map, but that was easy. If anyone tries this and has any trouble, I'll be happy to offer whatever advice I can.

This level of map is mainly a reference for greater detail hexcrawl development. I'm still pretty happy with it so far, just on its own merits. I still have to add rivers, roads, settlements, and labels.

2 comments:

  1. That's a very nice map. And thanks for reminding me about hexGIMP. I'd forgotten all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. I'm a Linux guy (LMDE) so GIMP is a no-brainer for me. I'm still using 2.6 since 2.8 hasn't hit the Debian repositories yet. I have rivers added and some cities. When I get finished I'll post the completed map.

    ReplyDelete